Tuesday, February 5, 2008

February 1, 2008: Linguistic Diversity and Placements

Recognizing that all types of linguistic diverstiy have an impact on the classroom is important. Whether it is a compltely new language or a different for of the same language can both create learning probles. The role of the teacher is to eliminate as many complications due to linguistic diversity as possible. Every child has the right to learn everything and anything that he/she can. A teacher has the responsibility to accoplish this and the holds the skills to do so. Many things can cause difficulties in the classroom. An effective teacher knows how to handle and control all situations in which problems arise.

PLACEMENTS!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to bilingual kindergarten at Risen Christ Elementary. I a super excited. I have always wanted to teach in an immersion school and/or in a school with a diverse community. I have been given many opportunities to experience diversity and to use my language skills. However, none of these have been specifically for the classroo. While tutoring while on mission trips in classrooms has brought me some experience, this Urban Immersion provides me with the opportunity to see first hand how a bilingual classroom operates. I a extreely excited to see if this is really a place that I will feel comfortable and be able to be effective, or if it is simply a nice idea. Can I actually do the things I wish to do? Do I actually have the language skills that I have been told that I have? Can I be effective in two languages? In one language? I am extremely excited and hopeful for this experience.

Risen Christ -- Here I Come!!!!

No comments: