Today, I was able to lead a read-aloud. All week long, the teacher is having adults from different areas of the building come and do read-alouds to the students because it is "I Love to Read Week." I like this idea a lot. I think it is helpful for the kids to see that reading is something that everyone does -- It is not just an activity done within the classroom and for homework. Reading is a beneficial thing for anyone with any kind of job at any point in life. The teacher wanted us to read one of our favorite childhood stories to the students so I read Love You Forever. I absolutely LOVE this book!! I believe that there are so many messages and deeper meanings in the pages if one only looks at it closer. The actually reading time went really well. The teacher was out of the room when it "was time" for me to read, so I just took control and told the kids to come and sit on the floor in front of where I was going to read the story. The kids all listened well and came and sat on the floor in a relatively reasonable fashion. I read the story. When the story was done the teacher asked me if I had read the story as a child and why I enjoyed it. I answered her. There was no interaction between the story and the students. There was no time for their interpretation, input or thought. I do not like this. I believe that even if it is a story simply read for enjoyment purposes, the students should still be able to say anything that is on their minds when the story finishes.
Overall, the day went fairly well. The teacher gives me a lot of opportunity for giving direction to the students and having large group guidance. I also bring them to music, physical education, and art. The kids are not quite listening to me yet, but they are also not completely disobeying me like they were before. I still favor urban. I do not know if it is the urban factor, or the specific experience. This weekend is long weekend for the college. I will not be with the students again for a little under a week. We shall see what happens then!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment