Okay, so today I went to physical education and music again with the kids. Some interesting things happened.
Phy. Ed.
So, today the teacher had the kids play a couple different games. When she was done explaining them, she asked me "Mrs. Anderson" if I could do something. The kids all went "that's not Mrs. Anderson, that's Miss Sinnen." The teacher apologized and then asked me if I could do what she originally asked. While I did not mind that she got confused and called me by a different name, I understand that we are only in the schools for a short period of time, the thing that troubles me is that Mrs. Anderson is the Para for of the boys in the classroom. She is with him every moment of everyday. Has the gym teacher never noticed that one student does not follow the rest of the directions and has an aid with him at all times? She later apologized to me when the students were playing and told me that she met Mrs. Anderson the day before during the party when it was dark and therefore did get a good look at her. This really causes me to wonder. One of the first things that I noticed was that one student clearly was in special education. This was apparent in many ways -- he speech pattern, his physical habits, his social skills, his emotional level and the fact that he had a Para with him at all times. I do know understand how the physical education teacher could have just met this woman. I have no idea why or how this could happen and I cannot even begin to imagine all of the possible affects this has on the students. The students who receive special education as well as the "other" students. What is else is she missing?
Because of the confusion she asked me "Not to be rude but, what exactly are you doing here?" I told her that her question was completely fine and explained our class and the goals and objectives for it -- that we are learning about diversity and all that it entails within the classroom. She looked at me perplexed and then looked at the class playing Turkey Shoot. She then asked me why I was at that school. I told her that we were comparing teaching techniques and styles between urban and local, diverse and "un-diverse", here and there. We then began talking about this idea and the entire concept of teaching to different types of children. She told me that taking a look at special education and teaching to a diverse study body in that aspect is something that should be looked at with my local school. This conversation with her caused me to further think about what all "diversity" entails.
It also made me wonder how she had never met a special education teacher but realized the prevalence of the program in her school.
Music.
Okay, so the teacher yesterday was a substitute. Good. Right?! Well, until the real teacher asks me about how yesterday went and how the teacher explained things and I, in a nice and professional manner, told her that it was unclear as to what they were suppose to do. I also told her that I would have explained what the song meant because they children were not seeing the point. Grain = cereal. Giggles. She then told me that the substitute the day before was her daughter. Yeah. Foot in mouth. So then, I watch carefully how she ran the classroom. While she seemed to have more of the students’ attention and respect, she didn’t really seem to have a point either. It was still like the students were leading her down the path instead of the other way around.
Tomorrow is my last day. Right when I am starting to feel almost at home here, I need to leave.
We played set again today...I won.....by lots!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment