Thursday, January 17, 2008
January 16, 2008: White Privilege and Web of Myself
I enjoyed the readings and our dicussion in class very much. This topic is something of great interest to me and will play a large factor later in my life if I decided to teach in a non-English speaking country. However, at this moment in time I am still confused. I do believe that white privilege exists, I do believe that there still are people out there who discriminate against others. But the topic of race, culture, ethnicity and even gender are all topics that I can see more than one side to. I often feel that talking about these issues so much gives them power and draws more attention to them. When at times what is needed is to move on, to actually not have it matter. Because ending discrimination is not simply discriminating against the oppressor. Ending discrimination involves ENDING discrimination. Situations where one person is changing behavior due to a difference s/he has with another individual, are wrong. However, fighting hate with hate and violence with violence is not a way to solve the problem at hand. As Ghandi said, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." Rather, what is needed, is to change your behavior and influence the behavior of those around you. Demonstrate for those who agree with you, but even more so for those who don't. Cause others to think about your behavior and then, in return, his/her own behavior. Fighting, or arguing will only cause the other person to become angry and believe even stronger in what is believed. It will not help in changing minds, it will not help in bringing an END to discrimination.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment