Sunday, January 20, 2008

January 18, 2008: Immigration

I believe that discussing immigration is a difficult task. What right does anyone have to say that another person does or does not have the right to live where s/he desires? No one had a say in where s/he was born. No one decided to be born in a third world country and for that matter, no one decided to be born in a first world country. I think as a citizen of a first world country I have a responsibility to help those who were not born into the luxury that I was. I believe that all peoples have basic rights simply for being a human being, for existing. That is, that everyone has the right to live in a first world country, if that is his/her desire. However, there has to be a line drawn. There has to be a point where it is allowing the rights given at birth to one from a third world country and one from a first world country. Just as non-citizens of the United States have the right to the pursuit of happiness, so do I. The United States is not the only place where these basic freedoms can be allowed. The U.S. is merely an example, not the only place. There are many other countries that offer freedoms. I understand that it gives an individual great power to say that s/he is a citizen of the United States. But if everyone was allowed in, not only would there not be enough land space, it would cause mass chaos. In order for our government to maintain, the country needs voters that have some experience with the ways of a first world country. Being a U.S. citizen allows the individual the opportunity to vote. The president of the United States of America has great power throughout the world. The president cannot be elected on a whim, or based on one small decision. Knowledge over the candidates and their participation within a first world is necessary.

And if there is such a desire to become a U.S. citizen, to live in the government the U.S. has established, to live under the laws and regulations of the U.S., why are there not more countries following in suit? If there is such a high demand for individuals to immigrate to the U.S. why are there not other places taking after the example the United States has set before the world?

I feel as if some immigrants want the culture of their previous country with the benefits of having the United States policies and laws. I think a way to help this actually occur, that is individuals retaining their tradition and culture while gaining the freedoms offered by the United States government is to have other countries implement the aspects of the United States government that appeals to those wanting to immigrate.

I am not saying that all individuals who immigrate to the United States are horrible people. I am not saying that these individuals make no contribution to society. And I am not saying that there have no right to live here. What I am saying is that an open immigration policy would cause problems for everyone. The status and stigma that goes with being a U.S. citizen would vanish. There would be no benefits to being a U.S. citizen because the entire world could be a citizen. I think a better thing to do, would be to have other countries have the type of government system that is desired by the people. I understand that having this happen may be difficult and drawing the line between helping and forcing is difficult, but there is no way that an open immigration policy would be what is best for the citizens of the United States. The citizens now as well as the citizens of the future.

No comments: