Okay, so local experience is a lot different than urban and I do not like it. I do not know if it is the specific classes, or the specific teachers or if it is because I like urban schools better, but I do not like the local immersion. My cooperating teacher is very organized and has everything planned out, but she does not include or inform me on these plans. She just goes. She will say, 'Here, take these kids and lead them in this activity,' when I haven't even read the activity yet.
Overall, I feel as if the school as a whole is not nearly as welcoming. I do not know if this is due to the diversity factor or the fact that one is public and the other is private. The fact that the urban school is more welcoming than the rural school goes against my prior preconceptions. I do not know what to make of this. I believe that the diversity factor plays a role in why the urban school was more welcoming. A part of the mission of the school is to be welcoming and accepting of all. The rural school does not have this component to it's education. This frustrates me. I do not know if it is because of the diversity or the fact that it is a private catholic school. I wish we could have gone to a public and a private school in the urban and in the rural. It would help in taking a closer look at the reasonings schools have for certain decision.
Today, the students had AR time as soon as I got there. Then a custodian came in and read a picture book for 'I Love to Read Week.' Then I lead a small group in reading a book on Chinese Immigration. Two of the students told me that "Chinese people do not matter. We don't even need to read this book anyway." I was shocked. I understand that there is almost no diversity in St. Joe, but really?! Then the kids went to Phy. Ed. and Music. So I was actually with them for like an hour. sweet. Hopefully tomorrow will be better! I get to read one of my favorite books: Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. I'm excited for that!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
WHOA! I can't believe that a student actually said "chinese people don't matter." That is tough Ashley, and a total bummer that your kids and cooperating teacher are just not...cuttin it. How unfortunate. You seem to be doing a really good job goin' with the flow and leading those activities the teacher gives you. That is showing flexibility lady, very impressive. You are making the most of it, doin' it like a true teacher.
I totally understand how you feel...definitely not as welcoming as urban immersion and I was at a different urban school so maybe it is just the diversity factor? Whatever it is I agree and I totally understand where you are coming from : /
Post a Comment